Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day....

I may be the only person who reads this, but it's just nice to type out my thoughts today!

So, it's Valentine's Day. If you're married, engaged, dating, etc., you have probably already spent a good amount of money, made some good plans, bought cards, or just done something thoughtful for that special person. If you're single, maybe you have chosen to have a friend be your valentine, sent cards to family members, friends, etc., but one thing is for sure, you have probably saved some serious money! Another thing is certain, you're expected to be mouring on this dark day of alone-ness, a/k/a Single Awareness Day. Last year on this day, that certainly was me. The cynical, mourning, feeling-sorry-for-myself girl, hating everyone who had a valentine. I think high calorie fried food, sweets, and a sappy depressing chick flick filled up my valentine's evening last year, counting down the hours til Feb. 15. Especially after seeing the movie "Valentine's Day" where Ashton Kutcher and Jennifer Garner end up together, Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner are too cute to be real, and all the bad people in the movie end up alone. Talk about depressing for a single girl!

THANKFULLY, this year has been the total opposite!! I decided last week that I was going to make a 3-layer red velvet cake for the first time to bring in to the office, for those of us who don't get roses delivered today. So, yesterday I spent hours going to 4 grocery stores to find food coloring, making the cake, making the icing, and putting the whole thing together. I felt a sense of accomplishment when I was finally done, and resisted the urge to take a bite. In between all the cooking, I had a Single Ladies valentine's dinner with some wonderful girls in my sunday school class, and it was sooo much fun. Just getting to hang out and chat and get to know each other better was a great start to valentine's day.

This morning, I woke up to a text from my dad and this text from the beautiful Lauren Dean:
"How beautiful you are and how pleasing, my love, with your delights!" Song of
Solomon 7:6 Happy Valentine's Day from the One who taught us to love!
As I was leaving for work, I had all of my stuff together, my cake with me, and the 2 valentines I got in the mail so I could open them at work. To my surprise, when I got to the car, there was another card on my window waiting for me. All three cards were so wonderful and were enough to completely make my valentine's day amazing. Having one card from my dad is always great, but especially this year because he's been traveling across the world for the past 2 weeks and still managed to make sure my valentine got to me today! Then, I opened the card that was on my car and it was just so thoughtful, it absolutely made my day. And of course the card from MC was just perfect and sassy, it made me feel great :) The cake at work was a huge hit, the plate was completely empty by lunchtime! Seeing all the deliveries for the ladies in the office has been really fun!

As if all of this wasn't great enough, I got a phone call from my dad (in Turkey) at lunch time, just "calling to tell all his girls happy valentine's day"!!!! I was sooo excited. I just got on twitter a few minutes ago and saw the SWEETEST valentine's gesture ever. From Adam of Owl City to Taylor Swift. So stinking sweet. She needs to go for him! THEN I got a contribution toward London. Unbelievable. Tonight I get to celebrate with a group of amazing girls at bible study! It has been such a great valentine's day!!!

I think the key to enjoying valentine's day as a single lady is this: don't focus on what you don't have, but focus on what you DO have!! This is a great philosophy for every day, but especially today it's very important. I mean, yes, I am a single girl, not in a relationship. But, I have the most amazing family I could ever ask for whom I love so very much, I have incredible friends, I have a job that I actually enjoy, great people to spend time with, and most importantly, I have Jesus! This time of singleness, though some see it as a time of punishment, is such a gift! Now, there will be days where I do not feel that way, but for the majority of the time, I am thankful for this time to grow on my own! And hopefully one day I will have a man to make red velvet cake and lasagna for, but until then I am perfectly content :)

So, all this to say....Happy Valentine's Day 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment